The Boss: In It to Win It

I have no idea what The Boss knows. I haven't got any context for this four year old girl and the way in which she assigns meaning to the world around her. Hints come out only in cryptic bits.

"I don't want to go to heaven. I want to live more," she told me as we watched an HBO Family show that broached the topic of death in a segment on dreamcatchers. "I want to live more than ever."

I nodded. She was nestled in the microsuede loveseat across from me. I was on the sofa, where the leather crackled beneath me as I pulled my feet in close to my seat. It was cold. I rubbed my hands together, less in heated promise than in prayer. I am always searching for the words. "You will," I said. Yeah, that's good, I thought to myself. I nodded again. "You will."

Comments

  1. I am always amazed at what our children are able to grasp and understand and how it always floors me when they say things like this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Three Hours

Shiny Happy People

Who Does Number Two Work For?